Wilkommen, Bienvenu, Welcome... Sziasztok!

Welcome to The Lotus Position, an intermittent collection of extempore navel gazings, ponderings, whinges, whines, pontifications and diatribes.

Everything is based on a Sample of One: these are my views, my experiences... caveat lector... read the Disclaimer

The Budapest Office - Castro Bisztro, Madach ter

The Budapest Office - Castro Bisztro, Madach ter
Ponder, Scribble, Ponder (Photo Erdotahi Aron)

Friday 24 August 2007

Huiquipedia - Nahuatl is Italian?

Yes! Wikipedia is also available in Nahuatl!

How did I discover this? Simply by Googling the word "uehcauh". Why am I Googling the word "uehcauh"? Tsk, tsk! That would be telling.

However, I got only 3 hits and this page was at the top.

Unfortunately, my Nahuatl is non-existent. Never mind, Google helpfully offers to "translate this page" for me.

Unfortunately, the result "was automatically translated from Italian" and so looked rather a lot like the original. I like the idea that Nahuatl is Italian though.

Unfortunately again, there are some words that look vaguely familiar - especially in the context of this page, which makes me wonder about the transliteration scheme I picked up from somewhere.

Oh, fie on it. I don't have time to worry about Nahuatl-English transliteration schemes....

Worrying... worrying... OK, it can't be all bad - axolotl is fine.

By the way, for future reference, just in case you need it - and you never know when you might need certain Stuff - the "-yotl" ending of Nahuatl looks as though it corresponds to "-ism"

I wonder if there is a Nahuatl-Basque dictionary...? Just a thought.

2nd October 2007... BTW - Two posts on Salamanders now! (See the other one here)

0 comments: