Wilkommen, Bienvenu, Welcome... Sziasztok!

Welcome to The Lotus Position, an intermittent collection of extempore navel gazings, ponderings, whinges, whines, pontifications and diatribes.

Everything is based on a Sample of One: these are my views, my experiences... caveat lector... read the Disclaimer

The Budapest Office - Castro Bisztro, Madach ter

The Budapest Office - Castro Bisztro, Madach ter
Ponder, Scribble, Ponder (Photo Erdotahi Aron)

Wednesday 18 April 2007

Steganos Safe 2007 - Start Here

I've been using Steganos security products for quite some time now and found them to be generally excellent... I keep (kept) passwords in the Password Manager and personal Stuff in a Safe, and let their security suite watch out for spyware etc. etc.

Generally very good and useful applications.

But - and it's a big BUT - if you expect outstanding service (come to that, if you expect any significant support) you may be disappointed. On the other hand, it could be just me...

Anyway, here's one of the current problems. Running Safe 2007 under Vista Home Premium I created a Portable Safe and wrote it to DVD. Couldn't open it. Did lots of obvious things like check I really was using the right long-and-very-secure password on the temporary copy on the hard drive and I'm pretty convinced it doesn't work.

Compile a reasonably informative support request and sat back and waited... it only took a few days to get a reply this time because AK is on the case, but it was not the sort of reply I was hoping for.

No "Dear Mr Stuff" (thank you for making me feel like a valued, personal customer), not even a platitudinous "We are sorry you are experiencing problems", no "We haven't heard of this problem before" or "I'm afraid I don't understand how this can happen" - what I got from the Manager Customers Service & Support was:

"This is impossible, sorry. A password is valid or invalid, everytime and everywhere"

Nice to be given the benefit of the doubt.

OK - everyone makes mistakes (I'll share some of my greater faux pas and cock-ups another time). Especially me. But even though I was pretty sure I hadn't, I double checked... yes, you guessed, there is a problem.

To be briefly technical, the issue seems to arise if the Portable Safe is written to a UDF format disc - which I had to do because the safe was >2GB in size and ISO format doesn't support files that big.

I've repeated the bad news to them in tedious detail and await their reply in due course!

0 comments: