Wilkommen, Bienvenu, Welcome... Sziasztok!

Welcome to The Lotus Position, an intermittent collection of extempore navel gazings, ponderings, whinges, whines, pontifications and diatribes.

Everything is based on a Sample of One: these are my views, my experiences... caveat lector... read the Disclaimer

The Budapest Office - Castro Bisztro, Madach ter

The Budapest Office - Castro Bisztro, Madach ter
Ponder, Scribble, Ponder (Photo Erdotahi Aron)

Wednesday 2 April 2008

Long Thing Shortened

I just wanted to point out that after approximately two hours of concentrated effort and much contorted thinking this morning (in an endeavour to re-examine the underlying concept from a more illuminating angle) I have come to the conclusion that there is no single word in English for a "Long thing that is now much shorter than it was... but still quite long."

Nor could I think of any short and elegant way of referring to the long, but relatively short, remnant of something that was once much longer.

These are, I feel terrible omissions.

Likewise I have on occasion felt the need for - and been disappointed in my search for - a single word for:
  • The back of the hand, and
  • The hollow on the inside of the elbow
No doubt some things don't need to be referred to very often and so don't get their own word (inside elbow hollow for instance) but that can't be the whole story otherwise historians would be scouring the records of French history in search of a hitherto unrecorded plague of one-eyedness leading to the french word "borgne". Eh? I think that last bit was the wine talking.

Anyway, at least we have a word for Stuff.

0 comments: